New versions of WordPress come out all the time, but many bloggers are hesitant to take the plunge each time, because of several fears. Your blog might explode and get regurgitated out the other side as a jumbled mess. You might lose out on some of that fantastic content that you poured your heart and soul into. You may forget to deactivate a plug-in, rendering a not so favorable result. It’s also a pain in the you know what to have to go through the upgrade process every couple of months.
And it was with all of these things in mind that the WordPress Automatic Upgrade Plug-In was created. The plug-in doesn’t exactly walk you through the upgrade process; it does it for you.
Here is what WPAU does:
1. Backs up the files and makes available a link to download it.
2. Backs up the database and makes available a link to download it.
3. Downloads the latest files from http://wordpress.org/latest.zip and unzips it.
4. Puts the site in maintenance mode.
5. De-activates all active plugins and remembers it.
6. Upgrades wordpress files.
7. Gives you a link that will open in a new window to upgrade installation.
8. Re-activates the plugins.
The plugin can also can be run in a automated mode where in you do not have to click on any links to go to the next step.